Not much going on around here...just thought I'd post about a few things around here!
While we were in Farmington, we had tried to plant a few seeds from a grapefruit and hybrid orange/lemon tree that we had taken from Grandpapa's house. We had only one grapefruit sprout, and a few of the other citrus ones. When we moved back to Texas, we planted the grapefruit and 2 of the citrus plants in the backyard, hoping and praying that they wouldn't freeze, and then gave either one or two of the citrus plants back to Grandpapa. While we were in Farmington, we gave those guys so much love and attention, so we really hoped they would make it! Turns out, the citrus trees died in our winter freezes (Grandpapa's is still doing well, I think), but the grapefruit made it! YAY! Here are some pictures of it now....hopefully it'll do some major growing this spring/summer/fall so that it'll make it through the winters to come!
New growth!
I also did the same thing with an avocado in Farmington. I was told there was pretty much no hope for it, and so it just sat in our garage all winter long. I did put it by a window so it could still get some sunlight through there, and I think I gave it water about 2 times....lol. Here it is today!! It's much smaller because most of it did freeze, but apparently it's roots were pretty good, because it's making a comeback! I'm super excited about it!
This next one just makes me laugh. I was cleaning out the veggie drawer in the fridge a couple weeks ago, and noticed that the garlic was starting to grow. I showed Matt, so he took it outside and stuck it in a pot....HA!
The front flowerbeds at this house have bothered me since the day we moved in. I can't tell you how much time I've spent in them pulling out grass. When whoever made these flowerbeds, they didn't put any kind of edging around it, and I guess didn't completely dig up the grass where they put it, because the grass roots I'm pulling out of there are ridiculous! Anyway, I finally went in and put a nice edging in there, so hopefully it will minimize the grass growing back into it. Then, I planted some grassy plants, azaleas, and petunias. We also planted 2 trees, a Cleveland flowering pear (ornamental), and a Magnolia. In this picture, you can see all of the above mentioned! I still want another tree on the other side of the walkway, but I'm still trying to convince Matt! :)
Next up, buying and putting together Aubrey's play set for her birthday present....I know we're already almost a month late. I'm excited to get it done, but since we're wanting to do it right, we need to get some sprinklers moved around so that we can box it in and put sand or mulch all around it. Who knows when it'll happen. We're also waiting for bids to come in on quite a few improvements for the backyard...hopefully we'll actually be able to afford it!
2 comments:
Looks very nice!!
I've tried to sprout an avocado seed before and it just gets crinkle and dies, how did you do it? Did you just put it in the dirt or in water first?
Loving your fruit trees, its a dream of mine to have a Lemon tree haha!
Post a Comment